Thursday, March 18, 2010

Daily 5

During Thanksgiving, many of my Facebook friends started posting a "Daily 5" of things they were thankful for. I never did. As many of you know, the adjustment of going from 2 kids to 4 kids has been harder than I thought it would be: 2 young biological kids with their own needs, 2 new kids with their own needs, language, food, homeschooling new kids, dogs, regular household stuff, no time for myself, work, kid's activities.... Don't get me wrong. I would do it all again in a heartbeat! But it HAS been exhausting.

Why do I share all this? Because I've been GREATLY impressed with one of my friends who continues to post a "Daily 5" of things she is grateful for. Here we are 4 months after Thanksgiving and she's continues to reflect and enjoy the good things that have happened that day not just the big stuff, but the details. It wasn't just for a season. I know she has her own frustrations in her very full life, but she can see God's hand in her life and take the time to appreciate it.

So, though I know I probably won't make this a regular occurrence, here are some things that I would put on my "Daily 5"....

  1. Anna loves Kindergarten.
  2. Misha and I have more time together.
  3. Mason thinks outside the box (I don't think he knows there is a box).
  4. Emily's willingness to help with a smile.
  5. Anna being able to sit by herself for a time out - "Oh, man! Not again!"
  6. Emily's love of reading.
  7. Mason loving to snuggle.
  8. Being able to stay home.
  9. Great friends who give LOTS of support.
  10. A husband who works so hard for us.
  11. Getting to watch Mason get excited about his first loose tooth - no it hasn't come out yet.
  12. Having two 5 yo that play together really well - most of the time.
  13. Misha getting to play soccer.
  14. Bugs - they fascinate and entertain my children.
  15. Rainboots - they are easy to wash the mud off.
  16. Anna loving to help in the kitchen.
  17. And SO MANY OTHER THINGS
In a 3 hour time span yesterday, I totally lost my cool several times (think banging metal bowls on the counter). The frustration and exhaustion were getting to me. I thank God for reminders, like my friends "Daily 5", that tells me to breathe and look at the snapshots of life. There is so much that is good.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Tracy,
    you've posted on my blog and I so appreciated your words of encouragement. I was feeling grumpy, even though I've gotten to exercise AND spend time reading the Bible so I decided to do what God called me to do in Ps. 50: 14-15, 23. However, I thought should check comments first when I found you. I pray I never lose the WOW factor as God comes into my world to remind me of his care. YOU did the Daily 5! I just smiled as I read and am so thankful. So your perfect timing of the daily 5 blessed me...off to do mine as well...Robin

    ReplyDelete