Friday, September 25, 2009

Kiev Continued

By now, we were supposed to be on a 5:25 am plane flying home.  Instead, we are still in Kiev with no definite idea of when we will be done.  The updated document is not done yet and until that is done, we will continue in Kiev.    We have changed our flights for Saturday hoping we will be done by then.  We should have reserved the flights rather than an actual change to save money in case we need to change them again.  The fee for changing tickets is $250/per ticket + any fare changes. This adds up quickly with 4 tickets.

Today, is wide open.  We have no transportation other than our feet.  Both William and I have colds now and our energy is low, but we know we need to get out of the apartment for at least part of the day.  So off we went.  

On our earlier visit, I had noticed an "amusement park" like area about 1/2 mile from the apartment.  In reality, it's a bouncy slide and about 4 toddler rides.  The bouncy slide was a big hit, however.  For only 10 grevna/15 minutes, the kids were able to play for about 30 minutes. There are no rules or people monitoring the slide, just the parents.  Our children were soon smiling and sweaty!!  Up and down, summersaults by Misha, running up the slide (once we took off socks), the inflatable palm trees at the bottom even got some karate kicks.  The weather was a nice fall day with a slight bit of wind.

When the kids were done, we wandered home.  On the way we passed through an open air market where I found some Hall's cough drops and Anna found a puppy.  The puppy was very cute and friendly.  We all wanted to adopt him, but didn't think we could get a Visa for him. (hee, hee)  We finally made it home where William heated up the sausages for lunch.  The rest of the day we watched TV, played cards, and logged on to Webkinz for some arcade time.

Misha helped me make dinner - fried chicken, sauted mushrooms, coleslaw.  He decided I could dip the chicken in the egg and flour (it was too gross for him) and he would wash and slice the mushrooms.  It was a very tasty dinner that we all enjoyed (I seldom make fried chicken at home, so it was a treat for us, too.)

After kitchen clean up we decided to have popcorn (found at the market) and have a movie night.  We had brought Pixar Short Films which are hilarious and mostly non-verbal.  I liked watching Misha laugh more than I liked watching the movie.  Anna kept taking everyone elses popcorn even though she had a full bowl.  She hardly ate any.  After movies was bed time for Anna.  Again, this was not an easy time, but it is improving.  She stayed in bed, but whimpered for quite a while.  I tried sitting with her on the bed, but this seemed to be an invitation to play. I finally moved to a chair and promised to stay there if she would be quiet and go to sleep.  She was asleep in about 5 minutes.  The whole thing took only about 20 minutes this time!

We had planned to call Emily and Mason about 5:00 pm which would be about 7:00 am.  This way we could talk to them before they headed off to school.  Unfortunately I missed the hour.  So I decided to set my alarm to call them at 1:00 am (3:00 pm in CA).  Misha and I logged on to William's Picasa account and enjoyed looking at many of our pictures.  It was a very special time for us.  Then we moved to playing Solitaire again.  When I looked at the clock it was already 11:00 pm.  I decided to stay up to call Emily and Mason.  Misha asked permission to stay up as well and say "hi".  Since we didn't have any real schedule, we said yes.  We continued to play cards.  He soundly beat me in a "soccer" card game.

At 1:00 am we called home, said "hi" to everyone very briefly (we didn't have a lot of minutes), and headed off to bed.  We will see what comes tomorrow.  If things don't happen, we will be here for the weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment